Stellar Structure and Evolution Spring 2016
Graduate Course in Astronomy at Leiden University
Lecturer: Prof. Tielens
Assistant: Ann-Sofie Bak Nielsen
The course will take place on Wednesday from 15:45 to 17:30 (2 x 45 min with a 15 min break) in room HL 414. It starts on February 3 and ends on May 4, 2016. Note that there will not be any lecture on Feburary 10, 2016. The general course description can be found in the e-Prospectus via this link. The course schedule can be found on the webpage of Leiden Observatory via this link.
- "Stellar Structure and Evolution", by R. Kippenhahn,A. Weigert and A. Weiss, 2nd edition
- Lecture notes of Prof. Onno Pols
- "Theory of Stellar Structure and Evolution", by D. Prialnik, 2nd edition (only few chapters)
Ann-Sofie Bak Nielsen and
Prof. Tielens are available in their office to answer questions. The office hours of Prof. Tielens are from 11:00 to 12:00 on Friday. The office hours of Ann-Sofie Bak Nielsen are from from 15.00 to 17.00 on Tuesday (Except 23 Feburary and 1 March, where Ann-Sofies ofice hours will be wednesday 13-15).
- There will be a written exam on May 27, 2016 from 10:00 to 13:00 in room 414. The only material allowed during the exam is the provided equation sheet. Books and electronic devices are forbidden.
- There will be a computer lab work, for which a report has to be written. This report will be graded. A pass is required in order for the written exam to be graded. If passed at the first go, this will also result in a bonus point for the final grade. An introduction to this work will be given on April 4, 2016. The stellar evolution code used for this work is MESA. The deadline to hand in the report is on May 4, 2016 at 09.00 a.m. The grades will be given on May 13, 2016. If not passed at the first go, the report can be improved until May 23, 2016 at 09.00 a.m.(but no bonus point in this case). All reports should be sent by email to Ann-Sofie Bak Nielsen.
- The retake exam will be on the 29th of July, 2016. It will be in room HL 414, between 13.30-16.30.
- The computer exercise will be on 4th April 2016, at 10.00-13.00, in room HL 411.
The outline of the course can be downloaded in PDF format here, and a study guide can be found here. Lecture slides and assignments will be available here after each class.
Computer lab instructions:
Computer lab grades:
Computer Lab Grades
Retake exam grades:
Re-take Exam grades